Sunday, 10 May 2015

Disappointing products


Hi!

Other bloggers and YouTubers always seem to start these posts saying they hate being so negative, but I think it's good to let you guys know when I don't like something, because I don't want anyone to waste their money on a product which perhaps doesn't work that well. I'll explain all my issues with the products, so hopefully you can see if the problems I've found are that important for you or not! You might have tried some of these and loved them, so let me know if that's the case!


Dove Compressed Go Fresh Cucumber Anti-Perspirant - I tend to go for roll-on deodorants, but I thought I'd buy this one for times when I'm on the go and don't want to wait for my underarms to dry. However, I never feel at all clean when I use this and I can always smell it on me for ages afterwards, which I don't love. I think next time I'm in the market for a deodorant, I'll go for a solid one, like this.

Collection Glam Crystals in Glitz 1 - I quite liked this eyeliner, which I was given, although obviously it's not one for everyday! The issue is that it's quite quickly separated into the liquid and the sparkles, which is disappointing.


Rimmel Wake Me Up  Foundation in Ivory - I think I just bought this on a whim because I got it for so cheap from Amazon (haul here) and I'd heard good things from bloggers everywhere. It's just really not the one for me. I have quite oily skin so the shimmer isn't exactly ideal for me! And the shade is simply too dark for my skin tone. 

ELF Mineral Lip Gloss in Sorority Girl - I'm afraid I've never actually worn this for an extended period of time because it's just so sticky. There's nothing else to say, it's just practically unwearable because of this.


Rimmel Scandaleyes Eyeliner in Nude - I'm so disappointed with this eyeliner. I had such high hopes after hearing so many positive reviews of it and I hoped it would be able to brighten up my waterline. However, as I've talked about here, I've found it far too orangey to do this. But that's the least of my problems! I find that as soon as I apply it (even after trying to keep my eyes open for as long as possible!), it smudges down and goes onto my lashline. Then, when it comes to removing it, it's impossible as it's a waterproof formula. I don't know if my eyes are particularly watery, but I don't think so as I haven't had this issue with the Topshop Kohl liner. I can't say what this is like on the lid, as obviously I wouldn't use this colour there, so this formula may work well there.

MUA Pro-Base Eye Primer - I really don't like this, but it's likely that you might! Here is a detailed review of this and my other eye primers.


These all come from a shopping spree when I was very interested in makeup but didn't know about beauty bloggers! I chose these from reading Boots reviews for many hours and I just wish I'd waited until I'd got into YouTube to buy base products.

L'oreal True Match Mineral Foundation in W1 -  I don't hate this foundation - although it can look quite powdery and cakey, it feels quite light on the skin and the colour match is quite good for me  I think I'm going to use this (lightly) as my powder the next time I wear my Body Shop Tea Tree BB Cream as I hope it will give a flawless effect. I'm mainly upset that I didn't buy the liquid version of this, because I really want that one now! The application of this is also a bit tricky and the brush could be softer. 

Revlon Photoready Concealer in Light - This doesn't really work under the eyes, which is what I mainly use concealer for. I also find it sometimes goes quite cakey on blemishes, but it is quite pigmented. Also, as you can see the packaging isn't the best.

Collection Primed and Ready - I really don't like this primer. It seems to make my foundation go on worse, especially on my nose, where I have the most uneven skin.  I can't say I've noticed it elongating wear time either.


I think I just can't deal with the maintenance that comes with a red lip. In theory I like them, and when I put them on it looks great, but after that it all goes downhill. I suppose the main reason I'm disappointed is just that I just can't make them work for me.

Rimmel Colour Rush Balm in The Redder the Better- I expected this to be something like the Revlon Balms, i.e. more nourishing than pigmented, but this is actually quite drying and packs a punch colour-wise.  My friend (blog here) absolutely loves this though, so it might just be me! I also only know the shade name because of her, as everything has rubbed off mine!

Barry M Lip Paint in Pillar Box Red - This is quite an orange-toned red and although I want to love it, I just don't really have the guts to wear it that much. And as I said, it definitely needs reapplication with a mirror, which I am just not about. Maybe I just need to be bolder with my lip choices!

Thanks for reading! Have you tried any of these products? What do you think?
Penny xxx

12 comments:

  1. Great post! Its funny beacuse so many things you've mentioned in this post, I really like! I guess we all have different opinions right!? xx
    OhjustAlice.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's true! I'd be interested to know the products you like here?

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you about Dove deodorant! I don't like it because it leaves a powdery residue which gets everywhere, it's so annoying!
    So my new deodorant is Soft and Gentle which I LOVE :) you get all kinds of lovely scents too, I have lotus and watermelon at the moment x

    ♥.•*¨ AmandaSays ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm not the only one :) Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  3. Totally agree with you about red lipstick!!! ...I just can't wear it ..looks fab until it gets all over my teeth & runs haha!!!
    Fantastic blog by the way love your polkadots!!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! YAY someone else who can't deal with red lipstick stress...

      Delete
  4. I think it's a really cool post! and useful to help people know what just hasn't worked for you! Hope you've got lots of products you do love too though xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I hope this post helped! Yes I have lots more that I like :D

      Delete
  5. Oh no what a shame you didn't like the Rimmel Wake Me up. I really like it but it's why blogging is so good, as one persons holy grail could be someone's most disappointing product :D xx

    Gemma ♥ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's mostly that I have quite oily skin, so it just doesn't suit me that well! And also I think I could have done with a lighter shade :/ It is great! Everyone's preferences are different :D

      Delete
  6. Awesome post! I pretty much felt the same as you about the Wake Me Up Foundation! Ivory is quite orangey! I actually quite like that Revlon concealer, although judging by this I guess it gets cakier as it dries out. I find the Rimmel Nude Liner a bit peachy, and prefer a white one.

    Kirstie | Kimamely Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been trying out the revlon concealer with the real techniques detailer brush recently and it looks a lot better on blemishes that way!

      Delete

Hi! I absolutely love reading my comments. I nearly always reply, so check back here a couple of days later or click notify me and I'm sure to have answered a question or just said hello! Penny xxx