Sunday, 3 May 2015

Drugstore Eye Primer Reviews

Hi!

Today's is a post I've been planning for quite a while - and hinting at in a couple of posts as well! I have incredibly oily eyelids, but I love eyeshadows, so eye primers are a must! I also haven't quite got up the courage to buy a high-end one as I just don't want to spend that kind of money on something that might not work well for me. In this review I'm going to talk about my thoughts on these for stopping creasing on oily eyelids, and the experiment I did with swatches on my arms. Surprisingly, they gave very different results!


ELF Single Eyeshadow in Raspberry Truffle (unfortunately discontinued)
Swatches straight after being put on from left to right: no primer, MUA eye primer, Elf eyelid primer, Elf Mineral eyeshadow primer, Elizabeth Arden Advanced Eye Fix Primer
Swatches after 5 hours: no primer, MUA eye primer, Elf eyelid primer, Elf Mineral eyeshadow primer, Elizabeth Arden Advanced Eye Fix Primer
MUA Eye Primer - When I have used this on my eyelids, eyeshadows have always creased extremely quickly. I really dislike it, it almost seems to make my eyelids even oilier! However, on my arm it's a completely different story. The first picture really doesn't do it justice, this primer really amped up the colour of the eyeshadow and brought out the purple undertones. And obviously in the second picture, this is the only swatch that's stayed in any way! So, if you're after a primer that makes colour more intense and your only issue is fading, this is the one for you!

ELF Eyelid Primer in Sheer- This is the first one I got and it dries quite quickly, leaving shadows easy to blend in. It definitely prolongs wear, but not too much - if you're in the US and can get this for $2 (I thought it was $1?) it is probably worth it, but in other countries what with P&P and heightened costs it's probably not. As you can see in the swatches, the colour is slightly more intense than the swatch without primer in both pictures.

ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer - I have noticed no difference between this and the basic ELF one, the swatches here are possibly better in the cheaper one! Save your dollar!

Elizabeth Arden Advanced Eye Fix Primer - I realise Elizabeth Arden isn't really a drugstore brand, but I bought this on Amazon for only £8.99 (it's now £9.99), so it isn't that expensive. This is definitely the best thing I've tried for oily eyelids. You get a lot of hours wear with this The main problem I have is that it takes so long to dry. I'd heard this in reviews before I bought it, but I thought that wouldn't be too bad. It turns out you have to wait a matter of minutes before you can apply anything over the top, which is extremely inconvenient. It's also then often quite difficult to blend eyeshadow over the top. The swatches on my arm show that the colour is less than intense with this primer.

So I'm yet to find the perfect eye primer. Maybe I should try using the Elizabeth Arden one with the MUA one over the top, or is that just too much hassle? Do you have any recommendations for me? Have you tried any of these and if so what do you think?

Thanks for reading!
Penny xxx

8 comments:

  1. The Elizabeth Arden one definitely sounds like the best one, however the time it takes to dry would annoy me!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is annoying, I have to really think about what I'm gonna do while it's drying -.- but it does the trick for me!

      Delete
  2. What a great little test! I have the MUA primer and I'm a big fan of it but I guess we all have different opinions at the end of the day! xx
    OhjustAlice.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it really depends on what you want from the primer I guess!

      Delete
  3. Oh, great side by side. It's weird that each primer makes the Raspberry Truffle look different. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah it is - I think because it's quite an interesting shadow, with different undertones! I've never really used it before actually but I definitely will from now on.

      Delete
  4. Oh I'll definitely have to try the Elizabeth Arden one, though the waiting for it to dry doesn't sound like much fun! Thanks for the reviews!

    www.ashbam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased I could help you :D I'm guessing you have the same problem as me then D:

      Delete

Hi! I absolutely love reading my comments. I nearly always reply, so check back here a couple of days later or click notify me and I'm sure to have answered a question or just said hello! Penny xxx