Monday, 1 June 2015

I can't take compliments

Hi!

Not my image


Why is it that accepting a compliment is so hard to do? The other person only wants to be nice, but it often has the complete opposite effect on people! I suppose the main reason is, that if someone is shy, they don't want all the attention to suddenly be on them! It's not a particularly comfortable experience to suddenly have all eyes in the room on you.

I'm sure this is something you can all relate to, someone pays you a compliment and you immediately clam up, go red and can't think of anything appropriate to say. Now I didn't realise this was such a problem for me until someone told me my lashes looked nice and asked if I had got a new mascara. I completely panicked and blurted out "NO!", when in fact I'd only been using that mascara for a few days (it was Maybelline Falsies!), so obviously, it was new.

Another thing that a lot of people do is just compliment the other person back, making it look like you don't mean a word of it, even if you've been thinking about how nice their top was the entire time you've been talking about.

So what should you say? Obviously the first thing is a thank you, but after that I don't know. It's probably a good idea to have a set phrase that you can go to if you panic.

Thanks for reading!
Penny xxx

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, I never know what to say after someone says something nice. I always say thank you and then I'm just stood there like oh golly what do I say now?!?
    Lizzie :)
    http://diaryofthelittlethings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one!! :D

      Delete
  2. I always always return a compliment for a compliment. So if someone tells me they like my makeup, I'll say "Thanks, I love your outfit!" or something like that :)

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a good idea! I'm gonna make an effort to respond well to compliments!!

      Delete

Hi! I absolutely love reading my comments. I nearly always reply, so check back here a couple of days later or click notify me and I'm sure to have answered a question or just said hello! Penny xxx