Sunday, 7 June 2015

Life on the Farm

Hi!

So, quite a long time ago, I mentioned that I live on a farm and Jo from Say Cheesy Cake asked if I would do a post about it with all of the dogs and animals - so here we go! I thought I'd do a bit of background first - I don't come from a farming family, my dad's started the business and bought the farm from scratch, which is a pretty impressive achievement if you ask me!





We always used to only have sheep, and I definitely feel the most confident looking after them, compared to other animals. I could spot a sick sheep a mile off or round them up in the blink of an eye! (well... sort of)




Now we've also got cattle, which I LOVE, because they're so friendly and will lick your hands so much! Their tongues are extremely rough, so it's not the most pleasant of experiences, but I don't mind.



We used to have chickens (and geese ages ago), but no more. My dad keeps promising to buy my mum some more chickens, but he hasn't done it yet! He's also been saying for many years that we'll get pigs, but it looks like this might happen soon.

We also have lots of arable land, including wheat, oil seed rape and beans, but empty fields don't make as interesting photos!

And now for the bit you've probably all been waiting for - the dogs!

Pickle
Scruffie (also known as Scruff, Scuffle...)
Pickle is Scruffie's mother, and the family started with Pickle's grandmother Polly, who was given to my mum by my Grandma. Then there was Daisy, and now the younger two. However, my mum's said we won't be continuing the line with more puppies, which I think is simply unacceptable! I feel like without Jack Russells I won't know what to do with myself - we've had them all my life.

Fly
Bella
We've also got 2 sheep dogs (border collies). It's quite difficult to take a good picture of a collie as they're extremely affectionate! The older one, Fly, is excellent with the sheep and can round them up very quickly. Bella is only a couple of years old and hasn't been properly trained, so hasn't got the hang of working yet, unfortunately.

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed this very different post!

Penny xxx

8 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh so cute. I love all animals.

    Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post dear!

    www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. Cuteness overload! I love the little sheep!

    I've nominated you for the versatile blogger award here:

    http://youngdotty.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I'm glad you liked it!! Thank you so much for nominating me!!! I've already done the post though, you can find it here :) http://polka-dot-penny.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/versatile-blogger-awardinfinity-dreams.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you so much Penny for sharing your farm with us. I love seeing all the animals they are all so adorable. You are so blessed. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww yay I'm so glad you saw this post!! Thank you for the kind words :)

      Delete

Hi! I absolutely love reading my comments. I nearly always reply, so check back here a couple of days later or click notify me and I'm sure to have answered a question or just said hello! Penny xxx