Sunday, 12 July 2015

My holiday reads

Hi!

On my holiday last week, I really enjoyed having the chance to read some books. I can safely say that due to exams I have definitely failed my 2015 reading challenge to read 50 books, so I just loved being able to finally relax with some good novels. I don't actually have pictures of two of the books as they were from the villa where I was staying.

My bookshelf at home

The view from the balcony!


The Queen Of The Tearling by Erika Johansen

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's set in a strange universe that I never fully understood, with references to a 'crossing', I imagined from Europe to America, but also mentions of things like elecricity, which is no longer available, but it's clear that it used to be. This is definitely meant to keep the reader guessing and it's no surprise to me that this is the first in a series, as I'm sure more will be revealed in the next books. There are elements of magic, historical fiction (although it seems to me it's set in the future) and who knows what else! It did take me a while to get into this book, but I can safely say I will be reading the sequel.


Blind Fury by Lynda La Plante

I found this book really rewarding and enjoyable to read. It's a fairly typical "whodunnit" type book, but nothing is kept from the reader so it's as if you are Anna, the main character. I found out partway through reading it that it's the sixth installment in a long-running series, but I felt there was no issue with reading it as a stand-alone novel.

Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson

This books was just so horrible. There wasn't a single page which made me in any way happy, as it's full of abuse and injustice. There were also some parts of the plot that didn't really add up for me, such as why the girls were branded in court as having "seduced" the much older man, when they were both under 16 when the relationships started, meaning it was definitely his fault. Although I was gripped by this book, I wouldn't recommend it at all as I found it very upsetting to read.

I also started reading When God Was A Rabbit by Sarah Winman and so far I am enjoying it, but I'll have to wait until I can get it out from the library to continue reading it.

Thanks for reading! Do you have any summer reads recommendations for me?
Penny xxx

2 comments:

  1. Oh I might read the Queen of the Tearling as I love a good 'whodunnit' book.

    Thanks for sharing

    Fi | www.fislittleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whodunnit book is Blind Fury! But Queen of the Tearling is also great :)

      Delete

Hi! I absolutely love reading my comments. I nearly always reply, so check back here a couple of days later or click notify me and I'm sure to have answered a question or just said hello! Penny xxx